Monday 23 March 2015

13 creative plant containers...

From around the www.

 buzzfed
Image via buzzfed

With so many new green family members around the house, I'm all out of plant pots!
Of course there are a plethora of beautiful ones available to buy, and I probably will invest in a few more as time goes by....But I've come to realize that I have very expensive taste, also when it comes to something simple as plant pots...so for now I am trying to get creative and use what I've got, and I have been trawling the internet for beautiful DIY ideas. Today I am sharing 13 of my favorite creative plant containers from the www.:

OK, so the top picture is not really a DIY as such, but it shows how you can get creative with using unusual things to display plants and flowers! I love the test-tube bud vases and the use of the chemical containers, but it could also be things from the kitchen, like an upside-down old-fashioned cheese grater or an old ladle...think re-use and re-purpose!!


Ben Uyeda from homemade modern has done exactly that when he created these fantastic desktop planters from old bottles...Head on over to his blog, Home made modern for the how-to!


Would you believe it?? This supercute cat planter from bru diy is actually made from a plastic bottle!! See??


And these super stylish brass planters by A beautiful mess are actually made of PVC sewage drain caps!!?? 

Next up, lets talk power of paint!!
Simply changing some plain plant pots with paint is very resourceful and effective....And what's more : You can make them exactly how you want them, like I did with my tribal patterned terracotta pot.


 How about these lovely monochrome ones from i spy diy?


Or these fun ones with gold leaf found on Fenton??


Or maybe a simple dip-dye is to your tastes, like these ones, also from i spy diy?

Then we can talk about how to display your plant pots!
Don't just limit you plant display's to your window sills and shelves: 


Hang them from the ceiling... perhaps by making some macrame hanging planters like these from for the makers


Or elevate them off the floor by making a plant stand, like the on above from ehow...


...Or these super cute ones from Sugar and cloth


Maybe even make a herb box like this one from DIY network and suspend it in your kitchen window!


Or make some mini , colourful polymer clay cones to house some cute little succulents and brighten up the place! See how-to over at Frankie's!


I also adore these little polymer clay house pots from 
Say Yes blog...cute and quirky!

Polymer clay is perfect for little projects like this. I made my Geometric planters for airplants from it!


Of course I had to include a little Concrete planter as well.... it is kinda my thing, after all.
 I love the simplicity of this one I found on duitang
Simply use two different size plastic containers, fill the large one with concrete, then press the smaller one into the mix to create the cavity in which you will place your plants! 
See my DIY succulent planter tutorial or my tutorial on how to create Concrete and cement planters for a more visual understanding of the process!

I will be back later this week with another DIY plant pot....but it's something completely different to all of the above...I am using Rope!! So please pop back to see how!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The plant stand is fantastic, I'm not one for going for the conventional plant pots and always look for new ideas but these containers are brilliant. Just what one needs in their home to make it stand out, I would love to have the plant stand in my living room next to my olive footstool from decur.co.uk, the combination would be perfect. Great post!

"